Kedarkantha Trek 6D/5N
About Kedarkantha Trek
- Trek Difficulty: Moderate
- Highest Elevation: 12,500 feet
- Trek Duration: 06 Days/ 05 Nights
- Trek Distance: 21 km
- Region: Uttarkashi
- Base Camp: Sankri Village
- Nearest Bus/Railway Station/Airport: Dehradun
- Best time to do: November to April.
This trek earns the badge of one of the best winter treks in India. Panoramic views of the Himalayan peaks, sunrise from the summit and the scenic Kedarkantha base camp will for sure melt your heart in the freezing temperature. It’s a perfect trek for beginners too but you have to be physically fit to complete the trek.
An exquisite sunrise with a view of 13 Himalayan peaks.
Standing at top of a rock with an open 360° view of the Himalayan (give the list of a few peaks here, don’t put them in the exact order where you take it from) peaks, on top of that an exquisite sunrise and the visible peaks changing their colors from yellow to red to orange. That’s what Kedarkantha Trek has to offer from its summit. Trekking through Deodar forest is a real treat in winter, as the trees are covered in snow and as you pass by them snow suddenly falls on you that might be something you always desired for. On a clear day, you can see the Swargarohini group of peaks, Bandarpoonch, Black peak, Bali pass which connects Gangotri and Har ki Dun valley, Devkiyara and Borasu Pass which connects Tons river valley with Baspa river valley. On the other side, you can see Uttarkashi, Gaumukh, Tapovan, in the open valley Dehradun and Nag Tibba beside it you see the entire Kinner Kailash range. You witness some beautiful sunsets in this trek, especially from the Kedarkantha base camp. One can enjoy the snow slides that can be done in some specific slopes under the guidance of the trek leader. It is one of the best winter treks in India.
Kedarkantha temperature in winters:
- December- (0°C to 12℃)
- January- (-5°C to 10℃)
- February- (-5°C to 10℃)
- March- (-5°C to 10℃)
- April- (0°C to 12℃)
Sankri - A Trekkers delight -
Sankri situated at an altitude of 6,455 feet is a beautiful scenic village in Uttarkashi. Tons river which adds beauty in the landscape of Sankri is formed by two tributaries Supin and Rupin. Sankri is a base camp of many other treks than Kedarkantha some of them are- Borasu Pass, Bali Pass trek, Har Ki Dun, Ruinsara Tal Trek, Dev Kyara and Baraadsar Lake Trek. This is the last village or a small market from where you can do your last-minute shopping before starting the trek.
Available Group Departures:
October - 10 , 17, 24, 31 | November - 7, 14, 21, 28 | December - 5, 12, 19, 26 | January - 2, 16, 23, 30 | February - 6, 13, 20, 27
- Sankri to Sankri (Basecamp) : 6,444 /-
- Dehradun to Dehradun : 7,999 /-
- Delhi to Delhi : 10,499/- via Non-ac Train / Bus
- Mumbai / Pune to Mumbai / Pune : 12999/- via Non-ac Train
Day T-1 : Mumbai / Pune to Delhi
- Report at Bandra station at 11:00 am
- People from pune are requested to take 06:00 am Sinhagad Express Train to Dadar as the train frequency from pune to delhi is low and also has odd timings. .
- Second boarding point is Borivali station for Western line people
Day 00: Delhi - Dehradun ( 254 km l 6 hours l Dehradun 1,466 feet)
- Pick Up Point: Majnu ka Tila around 10:00 pm.
- You will be reaching early morning to Dehradun where you will be meeting your fellow trekkers(if any).
Day 01: Dehradun - Sankri (187 km | 7-8 hours | Altitude 6,455 feet)
- You will start your journey to the most scenic village and a trekkers delight which is Sankri. Sankri is 187 km from Dehradun and will take around 7-8 hours to reach. Wondering when you will see snow? If you are lucky, Sankri might welcome you with some fresh snowfall in winters. You may explore the village if it’s not dark yet or you may just enjoy your cup of tea looking at those beautiful peaks and the beauty of Sankri. Overnight stay at a homestay.
Day 02: Sankri - Juda ka Talab aka JKT (4 km | 4-5 hours | Altitude 9100 feet)
- The Kedarkantha trek starts after crossing the forest check post. If you are thinking of bringing a Drone with you its better you drop that idea because the whole region is a part of Govind Wildlife Sanctuary and you can’t fly a drone even in Sankri. The trek you will be doing today to reach Juda ka Talab is of 4 km and will take around 3-4 hours. In winters you might find 1-2 feet of snow after a short trek from Sankri. Don’t forget to meet the famous Vijay Bhai who has a shop before Juda ka Talab and do listen to his soothing flute. Juda ka Talab campsite is near the Juda Ka Talab and in the month of January, it’s completely frozen. Deodar & Oak forests are guarding the lake and is a picturesque view in winters when it’s completely frozen and the trees are covered in snow.
Day 03: Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha base camp (4 km | 3 hours | Altitude 11,250 feet)
- Start your trek from Juda ka Talab to Kedarkantha base camp which is about 4 km and will take around 3-4 hours. The slope is steep and the trail passes through the forest of Oak and Deodar.
- Kedarkantha is one of the most beautiful campsites in this entire trek. You can even see the Kedarkantha summit from the base camp and right in front of you is an open valley with clouds floating over it and at the back, you see Swargarohini, Black peak and few other Himalayan peaks. If you are an astrophotographer you might get some best shots of your life from the Kedarkantha base camp.
Day 04: Kedarkantha Base Camp to Summit to Juda ka Talab (9 km | 6 hours | 12,500 feet)
- Finally, the day comes for which you were eagerly waiting for the summit day! You will wake up really early today as you don’t want to miss the beautiful sunrise from the summit of Kedarkantha. Waking up at 3:00-4:00 am, gearing up with gaiters and mini crampons and start your trek to the amazing summit of Kedarkantha from Kedarkantha base camp. After an hour (or two) trek from the Kedarkantha base camp, you finally take a step at the summit of Kedarkantha and the grand views welcomes you! Spend your time looking at those beautiful giants right in front of your eyes. Live this moment as it’s going to stay with you forever. After spending good quality time at the summit, its time for you to trek down to Juda ka Talab campsite.
Day 05: Juda Ka Talab to Sankri ( 5km | 4 hours )
- With all the great memories you created in this trek its time for you to trek down to the base camp Sankri. It’s a short trek and you can relax in Sankri after the three days of the trek.
Day 06: Sankri to Dehradun ( 187 km | 8 hours )
- After your Breakfast. It’s time for you to start your journey back to Dehradun its a 7-8 hours drive from Sankri. You will be reaching to Dehradun in the evening.
Day 07: Dehradun to Delhi ( 254 km | 6 hours )
- You will be reaching early morning to Delhi.
- Take train to Mumbai anywhere between 7:00 am to 10:00 am
- Travel overnight
Day T+1 : Reach Mumbai / Pune
- Reach Mumbai around 5:00 am to 10:00 am
- Take train to pune around 7:00 am to 11:00 am and reach pune by 4 pm
How to Reach Sankri:
By Air: Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun is the nearest airport to Sankri which is about 212 km away. From the Airport you can book a cab for Sankri.
By Rail: The Dehradun railway station is the nearest railway station to Sankri which is 194 km away and is well connected with Delhi, there are plenty of options to pick your train. You can book a taxi from Dehradun Railway station to Sankri.
NoteBook your ticket till Haridwar railway station because Dehradun railway station will be closed till Feb 2020.
By Road: Dehradun is well connected to all major cities. Sankri which is about 187 km away from Dehradun will take around 7-8 hours. You can book a cab or take public transport to reach Sankri, it is well connected with Dehradun.
- Travel as per the selected plan
- Forest Entry charges and all the necessary permits and entry fees
- All the meals from Dinner of Day1 to Breakfast of Day 6 will be provided.
- Camping accommodation in the tents/guest house
- Qualified trek lead and trained local guide
- Personal Expenses
- Insurance of any kind
ATM Points and Connectivity:
- The last ATM point to withdraw money in any case of emergency before the trek begins is at Purola. After this, there is no place to find any ATM points. But it’s better to withdraw cash from Dehradun.
- Mobile connectivity is obviously not there in the Himalayas. Purola again is the last spot where you can get a stable mobile signal.
Things to carry:
- Woolen Sweater (carry 5 layers during winter trek)
- Fleece Jacket
- Padded Jacket
- T-shirts (3)
- Trekking pants (2)
- Undergarments (4 pair)
- Woolen Cap
- Socks (both cotton and woolen)
- Trekking pole
- Medical Kit
Payment Details :
UPI ID : 7387523876@upi
Net banking :
- Name- RAJBALA YADAV
Bank name - HDFC BANK
ACC No.- 50100308491863
IFSC code- HDFC0002501
- Name- NITIN YADAV
Bank name - PUNJAB NATIONAL BANK
ACC No.- 0530001500002688
IFSC code- PUNB0053000
Please send a screenshot of the payment on WhatsApp 8850043643 for confirmation , we will then share a form for final booking procedure .
- 100% amount to be paid in advance to book the trip.
- If the booking is canceled 30 days or before the event date then 50% of the booking amount will be refunded.
- If the booking is canceled 30 days before the event date then no refunds will be given.
- No show = No refund.
TREKHIEVERS POLICIES :
- Seats will be reserved only after full payment.
- Detailed schedule of the trek will be given later to registered participants on WhatsApp group.
- Organizers have all the right to modify or change the schedule if required.
- Organizers hold the rights to cancel any event and refund with prior notice.
- We strictly follow no alcohol, no drugs and no litter policy.
Contact details :
Vaibhavi - 8850043643 | Nitin - 7387523876 | Chetan - 8928861733